Our LSS chassis system was designed to be as compact as possible. The V-shaped bedding and free floated forend improve accuracy and ergonomics. The forend allows for barrel contours up to 1" in diameter. The graphic on the right shows the two flat spots (V-block) where the action sits. The area below the action remains rounded to ultimate strength.
The chassis system is manufactured out of billet 6061-T6 aluminum and has been finished with Cerakote™ in Black or Flat Dark Earth (FDE).
To keep this chassis system compact, it was designed for carbine AR-15 buttstocks. However, fixed buttstocks can be mounted with the use of a fixed stock adapter.
Alternatively, our LSS-XL chassis has a longer forend and was designed to accept fixed buttstocks without the use of the adapter.
The MDT LSS chassis system is currently manufactured for the following bolt action rifle platforms:
- Remington 700 Short Action
- Remington 700 Long Action
- Remington Model 7
- Remington Model 783
- Remington R700 Clones such as Bergara B14
- Savage Short Action, Models 10, 11, 12 and 16
- Savage Long Action, Models 110, 111, 112 and 116
- Savage Axis - Short Calibers
- Tikka T3 / T3x - Short Calibers
- Tikka T3 / T3x - Long Calibers. Requires MDT 3.56 Magazine.
- Mossberg MVP 5.56 (.223) using AR-15 Magazines
- Mossberg MVP 7.62 (.308) using AR-10 Magazines
- Mossberg Patriot Short Action
- Howa 1500 / Weatherby Vanguard - Short Calibers. (Only compatible with MDT Polymer magazines)
- Howa 1500 / Weatherby Vanguard - Long Calibers.
- Howa 1500 Mini Action -Short Calibers. (Only compatible with the OEM Magazines)
- Ruger M77 (Scout) Short Action
- Ruger American - Short Action
Please note important action-specific information at the bottom of this page.
Mounting and Compatible Accessories
The LSS chassis is designed to accept any AR-15 buttstock and pistol grip (purchased separately), offering the option to customize from the wide variety of Accessories available on the market.
The LSS chassis uses AICS style external box style magazines in .223 and .308 caliber for Short Action and .300WM or .338LM AICS style magazines for Long Action rifles, and supports the installation of bolt-on MIL-STN-1913 accessory mounting rails. Mounting holes are spaced for Magpul style L5 (11 slots) and L3 (7 slots) rails (1.600” / 3.200”) to be used on the bottom of the forend up to 6.5" in length.Note: Long action magazines come in 4 different lengths: 3.560", 3.715", 3.775" and 3.850". The LSS chassis for long action uses 3.715 length magazines with the exception of the Tikka T3 which needs the 3.560" length magazines.
The max thickness of recoil lug recommend is .350" (8.9mm)
- Increases accuracy by up to 21%
- CNC Machined from 6061 aluminum
- Cerakote Finish in Black or Flat Dark Earth
- Hole spacing for Magpul L5(11slot) and L3(7slot)Rails
- Designed for carbine AR-15 buttstocks
- Accepts most AR-15 Pistol Grips
- Lightweight, free-floating modular forend
- Will accommodate barrels up to 1" diameter.
- Compatible with AICS style magazines in .223 or .308 (SA) and 300WM, 30.06, (LA). (Long Action Magazine length 3.715)
- Weight: 1.6lb - 1.8lb
What you get, and what you need
The LSS chassis system comes as a 1-piece chassis, with all required mounting hardware included. This includes new action screws and a screw for the pistol grip.
To complete this chassis on your rifle, the additional items you need to purchase are:
- Any AR-15 buttstock. For fixed buttstocks, you will need the fixed stock adapter, or consider using our LSS-XL chassis.
- A buffer tube for your buttstock. (Both mil-spec and commercial work on our chassis)
- An AR-15 Pistol Grip. Ideally without a beavertail, or use a soft (bendable) beavertail.
- At least one magazine
Howa 1500 / Weatherby Vanguard Short Actions
This is the only action that we manufacture a chassis for that has a flat bottom action. For this reason, only our Polymer magazines will work. The fitting may need to be modified slightly for proper feeding.
For .223 models the bolt stop may be too long. This can easily be modified.
This also means that the action does not sit in a V-Block.
Savage models 10/110 11/111 12/112 16/116
For rifles with the bolt release at the bottom, the bolt release can be engaged through the side of the chassis, using a pin or tool. (Not included)
Savage Long Action in 338 Lapua Magnum
Savage Long Action Chassis systems all use 3.715" AICS magazine wells. The BA 110 in 338 Lapua Magnum uses 3.850" magazines and have recently switched to a thicker recoil lug which will not fit our chassis. We have released a version of the ESS which is specifically designed around the current BA 110 in 338 Lapua Magnum.
Tikka T3 / T3x - Long Calibers
Only our Metal 3.56 magazine will fit with the chassis for this action and needs to be purchased separately.
The original recoil lug that comes with the rifle is required for installation into the chassis. On the Long Action, you will need to use 30.06 3.56 Magazine
The action screw is located directly above the magazine lever. This means that the magazine lever needs to be installed AFTER installing the action into the chassis. Detailed instructions are provided, and an installation video can be found here.
Ruger American in 223/5.56mm requires the use of this magazine http://shopruger.com/556-NATO-10-Round-Magazine/productinfo/90458/Does not work with 300 Blackout
It will fit Predator and Ranch versions. Please read notes on magazines for 223/556 rifles.
Drop- in for Ruger Gunsite Scout rifles only. Will not fit older Tang safety Ruger M77. Mark II and Hawkeye short action will bolt in, but modifications to the magazines and ejector may be required. Rifles with two- stage triggers will also require modifications to the chassis.
Dimensions shown are based on Remington 700 Short Action. It can be shorted significantly using a carbine (collapsible) buttstock.
If you prefer using a fixed rifle stock, take a look at our LSS-XL chassis.